Friday, July 29, 2011

How Fortunate!

If you are reading this blog entry, you are in minority! Well, this post is not a crib about the less following of my blog, it is about the fact that you are probably an educated, person who has access to computer and most probably you earn more than Rs100 a day. If you qualify on these parameters, you are in minority in this country. There are only 4% like you!

To make sure the point reaches home -

22% of India's population earns less than Rs11.60 a day, which is Rs348 or less a month.
19% earn between Rs11.60 and Rs15 a day, that is between Rs348 and Rs450 a month
36% earn between Rs15 and Rs20 a day, that is between Rs450 and Rs600 a month
19% earn between Rs37 and Rs92 a day, that is between Rs1110 and Rs2760 a month

Are you feeling lucky or concerned for the other 96%!!

2 comments:

  1. I think this also depends on where the person lives. The cost of living in cities like Delhi and Mumbai are drastically different from the rest of the country. I doubt the figures you are quoting are only from Delhi and Mumbai.

    While I do agree with you that I am a minority and I should feel lucky I think the actual figures can be tempered a bit taking into account the cost of living of the places these people come from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right Prateek, cost of living varies dramatically even within India. I have quoted figures from The NSSO (National Sample Survey Organization) Survey 2007. These figures are referenced in the book titled "Global Warming - There is still time to act" by Alok Bhattacharya

    ReplyDelete